Kiln Results, September 14th, 2016

Featherstone fired a glaze kiln (cone 5 oxidation) on Sunday, and they unloaded it on Wednesday. I had a handful of pieces in it, and it was great to see the results of the surface experiments I’ve been trying.

I was so excited about the clayish dirt on my land. A pile of it was dug up when the septic was done. Several weeks ago, I spent considerable time separating the clay from the sand, running it through various sieves. I had also added flux to it, some Nepheline Syenite, and some frit 3134 – hoping that it would melt a little more. Unfortunately, at cone 5 oxidation, it is pretty dry and gritty still. I will put a sample in a wood firing that is happening next week, and see what a different atmosphere and temperature will do.

Here is a video that shows some of my pots, before and after firing. 

Here are some of the pieces from the last firing.

2016-09-15-12-01-11

2016-09-15-12-03-22

2016-09-15-12-05-07

2016-09-15-11-59-53

2016-09-15-12-09-37

2016-09-15-12-12-03

 

Comments are closed.

Search Illustrations by Tag

Andrew Bella birds boats Boston cats cows Dad dance dog dogs fantasy feet fish fishing flowers food goat Gordon Hanah hands Hannah horses Ian landscape letters martha's vineyard Millie Miniature Schnauzer Mixed Media Collage morkie mushroom Noemie people puppy Rosco Rose Scout self portrait sheep still life Tradewinds tuukka ukulele